Friday, February 11, 2011

Ms. Lisud Goes to Washington

I have ran out of catchy titles, and have resorted to ripping off a Jimmy Stewart movie I've never even seen.

This is yet another one of those "pack and leave" moments for me, although it was a couple months in the making. Southwest has those amazing 72-hour sales where you can go anywhere for a flat rate (depending on the mileage). So,  I picked my budget, then picked a city. DC it is. Home of the federal government, taxation without representation, and the most phallic monument in the country. There, I said it.

The first night was pretty rough at the hostel, with a bitchy old roommate and sirens going off all night. The only good thing about it was I met a nice new friend named Louise. :)

I had a list of "must-visits" but didn't really have a set itinerary. And, I didn't have any particular plans before my walking tour, so I decided to look for the nearest highly-rated restaurant that didn't cost a kidney, and it said Lincoln's Waffle Shop. It's not good food, but you come and eat there merely for the touristy factory, and the fact that it's across Ford's Theater. So, after inhaling my breakfast of greasy salmon cake, fluffy waffle, and piss-poor coffee, I crossed the street to visit the place where Lincoln got shot. It's an interesting place, with a museum in the basement that houses, among other things, the actual gun that nut job Booth used to change things. There's also a short play in the actual Ford's Theater (with the box seats where Lincoln got shot being a popular photo op spot). I definitely felt like there's some over-glorification going on, but that's OK; the dude did deliver the Gettysburg Address and meant it.


Afterwards, I walked a couple of blocks to the edge of the Washington Memorial and joined a free walking tour. It was a rainy, blustery day; I keep forgetting that deep down, while I pretend to be a tough-skinned Minnesotan transplant, I'm still a wuss who should NOT underestimate how cold 30 degrees can be.

Anyway, tangent aside, the walking tour was really useful and meaningful. It's nice to get some story behind the photos, like why no statue is taller than 19', or why the World War II memorial is shaped the way it is. Or, why the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial proves so emotional for many of its visitors. The most poignant moment for me was stepping on the same marble step where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's podium stood the day he delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. It was definitely a wonderful few minutes.

I met a new friend from the walking tour, and we decided to go to another, more modern, landmark, Ben's Chili Bowl. If you watch any travel show to DC, chances are they've featured this place. The half smoke with chili is phenomenal, although the chili itself wasn't really outstanding. In fact, it was kind of bland. But, hey, if Bill Cosby likes it so much, then it must be good. Who doesn't trust Dr. Huxtable? Georgetown was our next stop, and it's a wonderful college town within the city with its amazing architecture and great shopping. After rewarding ourselves for walking sooooo much with really greasy Chinatown Chinese food, I was spent.


Sunday was probably the epitome of a perfect winter day: It was in the 30's, but the sun was shining brightly. We headed for the White House, which turned out to be smaller than I expected. What is it with things never stacking up to your expectations? First the castle at Disneyland, then this. Oh wells.
The Museum of American History was a great next stop, because i'm a sucker for pop culture and history and trivia and what-not. Probably the best part of the museum was the gallery of First Ladies' inaugural ball gowns. I could honestly say I got goosebumps seeing Michelle Obama's Jason Wu dress. I dunno why, maybe it's because I realized that I witnessed that moment she was in that dress, and now it's   in a museum. Which means, I witnessed and made history, as we all do everyday.

I know, it's super creepy that I took pictures of her Jimmy Choo's. Whatever.
I also thoroughly enjoyed the Julia Child exhibit, with her real kitchen. yes, cut to scene of "Julie and Julia". I love that epicurean giant.
A piece of the Berlin Wall
The Air & Space museum was more of a WOW factor, because they somehow manage to cram a couple of spaceships, the Apollo 11 pod, Lindbergh's airplane, the nose of a Boeing 747, and countless other amazing artifacts. I really loved seeing the really old airplanes when only the rich folk can afford to fly.

By the time we got out of the Air & Space Museum, it was time for Super Bowl XLV, so we headed over to where the crowds are, and happily I met some nice DC natives to hang out with and watch the game. Seriously, DC people are nice. The Packers won, I gave away $5 to a friendly homeless guy, and the world's alright.

Monday was my last day @ DC. I didn't have much time to do much else, so I popped by really quickly to the Bureau of Engraving & Printing to see how cash I rarely use is made, and stare at overpriced merchandise.

Then, as a last minute effort to cram something else in, I decided to go to the museum next door, the Holocaust Memorial Museum. Can I just say, you HAVE to go here if you ever come to DC, and leave more than 2 hours to go through this place. It is probably the most jarring, emotional, real, saddest place I've ever been to. And I'm all the more better for it I think. I can't really explain it, but it is just an experience you'll have to go through, lest you forget what really happened, and what is still happening today except with different groups of people. I think the hardest part was going through an actual train car that was used to transport thousands of European Jews to the death camps as part of the Final Solution. And when you look at the articles that people packed with them that were confiscated on their way to the camp, it connects you with these people in a way that no movie or documentary can. I found myself thinking a lot about what I saw in that museum hours, days after I left. Even until now. I think it is one of the most respectful spaces put together, and I don't know if I want to visit it again, but...

DC is a wonderful city, full of life, lights, monuments, imposing buildings, and symbolism. But, it is important to note that beyond all the tourist traps and intimidating structures are real, everyday people with real, everyday jobs. That's what I love about visiting big US cities; there's human energy coursing through its veins every second of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment