Saturday, January 29, 2011

I don't know, what he does to make you cry, but I'll be there to make you smile.

I don't have a fancy car, to get to you I'd walk a thousand miles.... 


Hands up if you know this song. Then give yourself a belly rub for 1) being born before the '90s 2) still being a Backstreet Boys fan. 


Anyway, I really just wanted to get that out of my system, as it's been on repeat in my head for the last week. I really can't tell why, but FYI (or TMI) it makes for a great shower song. 
Now that we have '90s boybands out of my head (and into yours), I just wanted to do another post on things I'm thankful for. Because it's the little things in life that keep us civil towards each other and to ourselves:


1) Ice sculptures! - just visited the St. Paul Winter Carnival with some friends, and I gotta give Minnesotans a huge kudos for making lemonade out of lemons. It's not easy living in subzero weather 3+ months out of the year, so it's inspiring to see Minnesotans make the most out of what they have the most of nowadays: snow and ice. Go down to the MN State Fairgrounds or Rice Park between now 'til Feb 6 to see some ridiculously beautiful ice and snow sculptures. 
2) Eating at legendary restaurants - Can someone say Mighty Ducks 1, 2, and 3? I just ate at the venerable Mickey's Diner in St. Paul. Epic! and Epically greasy! It's like the Pink's or Katz's of Minnesota, you just gotta be there. 
3) Weather Channel Blackberry App - so I know if I'm walking outside to -15 degree weather (face mask on) or 10 degree weather (face mask off). I also love the "Feels Like" feature, because that's what really matters, right?
4) Blackberry Messenger - wanna 'text' your cousin in the Philippines? BBM them! Yey!
5) Backstreet Boys - just 'coz they're still doing world tours (with NKOTB, no less!) when they're supposed to be, I dunno, doing Vegas lounges
6) 2010 Oscar-nominated movies - It's an amazing race this year, and I'm trying to make my way through most of the nominees. So far, I can check off The Social Network, Toy Story 3, Inception, The King's Speech (my pick!), and Black Swan off my list. Looking forward to watching The Kids Are All Right, maybe The Fighter and Winter's Bone. Not so sure about True Grit or 127 Hours. 
7) Colin Firth - one minute he's dancing shirtless with a man in Mamma Mia, the next minute he's the reluctant King of England. I mean, c'mon, give this guy his well-deserved Oscar! Needless to say, for the latter. 
8) Yelp! events - ah, I can't believe how many awesome events I've been to courtesy of Yelp! and it's just January! I like that our Community Manager puts together these fabulous (and free!) shindigs featuring the best local businesses. Minneapolis is BIG on "buy local," which I highly respect. 
9) MSNBC.com - I love this website's interface (big photo of the top news of the hour helps), and it's much more news than nonsense, which sadly is what Yahoo is turning into, in my opinion. 
10) SouthLAnd - I realize this doesn't really make me friendly or happy, since it's a pretty violent show. But I do appreciate the rawness and authenticity of this drama, not to mention the superb acting. I love that it's shot on location (actual Los Angeles), and I like that they've created a nonconforming gay character in John Cooper
11) Smart drivers - I am so happy my friend Chad is such a good driver; two weeks ago, we had a really scary experience driving through a snowstorm when the entire windshield suddenly turned dark and we couldn't see a single thing. Using quick thinking and deft driving skills, he calmly maneuvered the car onto the shoulder and did all the right things to clear up the windshield. Phew! and Thank you!
12) Chapstick/lip balm - 'nuff said. 
13) Coffee - 'nuff said, part dos. 
14) Earth (The Book) - this was my sister and brother-in-law's birthday gift to me, and I am so amused at this cleverly-written textbook. Premise? Aliens who find this book are introduced to Earth and humanity, long after humanity has been eradicated from the face of said Earth. Awesome read. 
15) Hearing my nephew Matthew over the phone trying to take my order - mom bought him a McDonald's kitchen set, and it was just so adorable hearing him mumble things like "french fries?" "cheezzzburger?" or whatever else he was attempting to say. 
16) Living Social's Amazon.com $20-for-$10 deal - best Living Social deal ever! Here's hoping Groupon does it, too. 
17) Heaters - I really wouldn't know what I'd do without it. I really wouldn't be here if I was without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment