Thursday, February 24, 2011

Look ma, I'm making money off the interwebs!!!

I imagine that 16 years from now, when my nephew turns 18 and his parents ask him what he wants to do for a career, that he can declare, without fear of ridicule, "I want to be a blogger." And that would be as normal as daylight. Well, it would be year 2027, and by then the alien overlords would have taken over earth and started stealing daylight as a way to render humankind malnourished and servile. Thus, making daylight not normal.

Damn, I've been obsessed over The Hunger Games trilogy way too much. There's some seriously dark shit in that book, and I love it. 

Point is, blogging has been and will continue to be an honestly lucrative source of livelihood for many people, and I (with some trepidation) wonder if this is something I could do. I mentioned a few posts ago that my dream job would be a country-hopping, photo-taking cave-spelunking (redundant I know, but my brain just sharted) food writer. Some very encouraging friends pointed out earlier that having a 'real', revenue-generating blog could be a first step. So, I wonder, is it possible??? 

As it is, I already post a lot of reviews on Yelp! and I gets me some mad freebiez for that, yo. (Wow, urban speak wears on me like the BP oil slick wears on a seagull. Not pretty at all.) I find writing these short foodie notes fun, a good creative outlet to express my sense of humor or sense of duty to inform people how "freaking-five star-awesome" or "piss-one star-poor" a restaurant is. By the way, go to 112 Eatery. You won't regret it. End of plug. 

However, if I were to have a legitimate site, I think I would want to cover more than just food. I'm no Gwyneth Paltrow who acts as a lifestyle guru with a website like www.goop.com. Or a politically-savvy fool/genius like Arianna Huffington to tackle political issues. 

What is it that people would want to read, though? How do people like the Sartorialist, Perez Hilton, Just Jared find the right content to post that information-overloaded people like me would still want to gobble up like a piece of 112 Eatery's delicious Nancy Silverton's butterscotch budino (seriously 112, pay me)? 

Maybe these now-infamous bloggers became who they are today because they talked about things that they're passionately passionate about and, equally important, about things that people could relate to. For example, everyone secretly likes to follow trash celebrities throw away their dignity, so that they feel better about their own lives (TMZ, Perez, Oh No They Didn't). Then there are people who love fashion and think of themselves as fashion-forward (Sartorialist, fashionista.com). Of course, there are people who just like to laugh at or with certain subsections of American culture (latfh.com, peopleofwalmart.com). 

Where does all this epiphany bring us? I think I would have to create a mission statement first, which is the first piece any good business plan should have. Whether I actually act on this...dream, reality, I'm not really sure at this point...remains to be seen. What I'm doing right now may just be experience a fleeting moment, I could just be riding off the highs from my conversation with some friends earlier. Or, it could actually grow into something, and I could be the next Chez Pim or Aarti Paarti or 80 breakfasts. Who knows? 

Opinions for this poor lady undergoing a quarterlife dilemma (of sorts) highly welcomed. :) 


R-O-C-K in the U-S-A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment